To obtain employment concentrating on a reporter/editor responsibilities with a magazine, PR firm, online media outlet, or newspaper.
August 2017 – November 2017
Contributor & Copy Editor – Howard University News Service | Washington, D.C.
- Contributed to the weekly budget and pitches stories for Howard University’s newswire.
- Covered events such as the 2017 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins White House Visit, Dick Gregory’s Memorial Celebration Service, and more.
- Contributed stories like the African American involvement with cryptocurrency and marketing entrepreneur, Tina Wells’ profile.
June 2017 – August 2017
News Intern – IP, Tech & Telecom, Privacy | Bloomberg BNA | Arlington, VA
- Covered news and events concerning intellectual property, cybersecurity, technology, and telecommunications from the BNA headquarters, the Federal Communications Commission, and Capitol Hill.
- Covered the Washington Redskins trademark dispute.
- Covered the privacy issues with Children Online Privacy Rule.
- Served as a broadcaster in a ‘5 Things About Privacy Issues in Sports and Entertainment’ informational video – 1.4K views as of 10/2017
May 2017 – June 2017
Copy Editor & Contributor | The New York Times Student Journalism Institute | Greater New York City Area
- Edited headlines, text, and photo captions.
- Covered First Lady Shirleen McCray and ThriveNYC’s maternal depression screenings initiative.
March 2010 – May 2017
Copy Editor & Contributing Writer| The Hilltop Newspaper | Washington, DC
- Contributed to Sports, Local and National sections.
- Edited copy for The Hilltop Newspaper.
- Covered Howard University and Clark University their service activities and highlights of Howard’s Alternative Spring Break in Atlanta, GA.
- Formed headlines, subheads and photo captions for the Alternative Spring Break-Atlanta stories.
- Conducted and edited live video interviews with the trip’s attendees and mentees.
September 2016-January 2017
Multimedia Intern | Agence France-Presse (AFP) | Washington, DC
- Edited and created headlines, text, and photo captions.
August 2016-October 2016
Short Assignment Editorial Intern | Redskins.com |The Washington Redskins| Ashburn, VA
- Wrote editorial content.
- Transcribed all press conferences and interviews.
- Assisted full-time editorial staff during on-field during home games.
November 2015-August 2016
Freelancer | The Washingtonian Magazine | Washington, DC
- Provided editorial content for The Washingtonian Magazine.
May 2015-September 2015
PR Associate| CNN | Washington, DC
- Provided weekly coverage for multiple correspondents and shows.
- Developed and formatted transcripts for all Sunday morning shows.
- Compiled coverage report for multiple CNN Films such as Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me and Evocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie.
- Assisted CNN correspondents with weekly radio interviews.
February 2015-May 2015
Digital Advocacy Intern | Planned Parenthood Federation of America | Washington, DC
- Assisted the editorial department with fact-checking and research for Planned Parenthood Action website.
- Developed content for Planned Parenthood Action Fund blogs and other properties.
- Served as a ghostwriter for multiple articles.
- Monitored and updated Planned Parenthood’s social media properties including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
August 2014-December 2014
Editorial Intern | The American Prospect | Washington, DC
- Assisted the editorial department with fact-checking and research for the print magazine and daily production of The American Prospect‘s website.
- Produced Q & A web content and multiple politically aware articles for the web.
- Developed and implemented social media plans for Twitter.
September 2013-May 2014
Digital Communications Intern| Mentor Up-AARP Foundation | Washington, DC
- Developed social media plans and schedules for multiple web outlets including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
August 2012-December 2012
Freelancer | The Washington Blade | Washington, D.C.
- Created calendar events for the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore areas.
- Produced arts and entertainment editorials.
- Howard University, Washington DC
- B.A., Media, Journalism, and Film|December 2017
- MAJOR-Print/Online Journalism
- MINOR-Sports Administration
Other Skills and Interests
- English (First Language)
- Japanese (Advanced)
- Spanish (Conversational)
- Microsoft Office
- Final Cut Pro
- CMS Systems
- Social Media Marketing Management Systems
- Salsa Lab
- Google Office
- Social Media Outlets
References Available Upon Request